Work Type is a two-letter code that forms a part of your Lot Identity when you create a Lot. Work Type classifies the type of work that is done for a specific Lot. Even though it can be added manually, the quickest way of setting it up is to import it either from a CSV file or the repository/other project.
Before you create a Lot, you must set up your Work Type register.
Pro Tip: When creating a list of Work Types, include a miscellaneous Work Type to allow the recording of general, non-specific work. For example, add a Work Type MS with a description Miscellaneous for this purpose.
This process shows you how to :
Click the symbol above to enter full screen mode ↑
Method 1: Add Manually
1. Select your project first by clicking on it. Then, navigate to the work type register
2. Click on the tab " New Work Type".
3. Complete the following fields :
- Work Type Code - Enter the two-letter code for your work type e.g. AC
- Description - Enter the corresponding description e.g. Asphalt Pavement ( up to 500 characters)
Edit the Work Type
4. If you need to edit the work type, just click on the code in the register to open it.
Method 2: Import from REPO (Repository) or other Project
1. In the work type register, click on the Global Action icon and select " Import from Repository/Other Project" from the dropdown list.
2. Select from the dropdown list the project that you are importing the work types from. To import from Repository, select "REPO" from the list.
3. Tick the box at the very top to select all or tick each box to select individually. Click Save.
Method 3: Import from Clipboard / a CSV file
Ensure that you have created a list of Work Types and saved it as a CSV file in a folder before you start. Refer to How to create a CSV file.
1. In the work type register, click on the Global Action icon and select " Import from File" from the dropdown list.
2. There are two ways to import :
a) Import from Clipboard (directly from Excel)
b) Import from File (CSV file only)
2a) Import from Clipboard ( directly from Excel)
Open your Excel file and select the data that you are importing. Right click to select “Copy”. Click on the “IMPORT FROM CLIPBOARD” tab to import. Proceed to Step 3 below.
2b) Import from File (CSV file only)
2b-i) Click on the “IMPORT FROM FILE” tab to select the file from your folder or use the Drag and Drop option.
2b-ii) Before you import the file, you must have already created and saved a copy of your CSV file in a designated folder. Select the file from your folder and click “Open” as shown below.
3. Click on the heading “Value 1” and select “Work Type” from the dropdown list. This will update the heading. Next, click on the second heading “Value 2” to update it to “Description”.
4. Once all the headings have been updated, you’ll see a green tick. Click “Import”.
Delete Work Type
1. Select the work types and right-click on the register. Click "Delete Selected".
Link a Work Type to a Schedule Item
Adding a link between a Work Type and Schedule Item allows Civil Pro to automatically filter the Schedule Item list when adding quantities to a lot. The default for the Schedule Item list will be to show only those items relevant to that Lot’s Work Type.
1. Select the Work Type from the register and click on the Related Items icon on the right panel. Click on the plus sign next to Schedule Items.
2. Select the Schedule Item to link. Click Save.